Wednesday, May 1

Gas vs. Coal Forges - A Breakdown


The age-old question: Should you forge with gas or coal?

In this video, I explain my reasoning when it comes to this question.

I'll lay out the benefits of each and give my recommendation for people just starting out.


Video Summary:


  • Coal forges are easier to build and safer than compressed gas if you're not familiar with gas lines.
  • Coal forges can cause more long-term health problems over time.
  • Coal forges can be less expensive if you go the DIY route.

  • Gas forges can be more expensive to buy, but they are very efficient with proper use (you'll save on fuel).
  • They tend to be cleaner (less crud in your lungs).
  • Tricky to build unless you have welding skills and experience with pressurized gas (There's a very real danger of injury).
What Do I Use at Brown County Forge?

While I learned on coal forges, the first forge I ever owned was a double-burner gas forge from NC Tool Company. 

I've stuck with gas ever since.

Since then, I've owned a Forgemaster and a Majestic Forge. They both work great and conserve fuel while I'm forging. 

I also go with gas for teaching classes. It's easier for people to use if they've never forged before. 

(Building and maintaining a coal fire is a great set of skills, but can be difficult when you're first learning the craft.)

No comments:

Post a Comment